Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Where in the World Will Jackson Go On His Mission?!




   My lovely son Jackson has just officially submitted his papers to serve a full-time 2-year mission for our church- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We're very excited for him, and maybe a little nervous too! We expect him to receive his call within the next 2 weeks or so. We've been working hard to get Jack ready for this with several doctor and dental appointments, interviews, and paperwork. Jack has been working hard to prepare spiritually and I'm really proud of him- he's a great example to me and the younger kids in our family! Jack graduated HS last year and will turn 19 next month. He attended BYU for 3 semesters this past year and took lots of general academic classes as well as studying the Book of Mormon (the actual book, not the musical :), and other religious classes and taking a Missionary Prep class. He has been really faithful in his scripture study, journal writing, and church attendance. I think he is excited about this next adventure in his life, and having the chance to serve and grow as a person. In my humble opinion he is about as prepared as I think anyone can be to serve a mission!

  So, I thought it would be fun to have a little contest for anyone who is interested to guess where in the world Jack will get sent on his mission! The winner will receive a small prize package made up of some of Jackson's favorite things. If you are not familiar with the LDS mission program (LDS is an acronym nickname which stands for "Latter-Day Saints;" members of our church are also commonly referred to as "Mormons"), missionaries are sent all over the world to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ to those who are interested in hearing it, and to do service in both the church and the community. Not all countries have LDS missions but many do. Once he gets his calling he will find out where he is going and when he will report to the Missionary Training Center in Provo, UT (where BYU is located) to get further training and possibly learn a language if called to a mission with a language other than English.

If you'd like to enter the contest, you may respond in the comments of this post, or email me (Elisabeth) your guess as to where Jack will get his mission call (beutfam@gmail.com). If you guess a country be sure to guess a specific country, not "South America" or "Europe." If you think he'll stay in the United States, you should guess a specific state. If more than one person guesses the correct country or state, I will put the names into a hat and do a draw. You have until we receive the call in the mail to guess, and I will post the answer and the winner as soon as we find out. This contest is only open to the United States- because I can't really afford expensive overseas postage- nothing personal!!

Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

(I just finished reading The Hunger Games-can you tell?!)



hint #1- Jack studied Spanish in Middle and High School
hint #2- His father served in the US in Montana
hint #3- His Grandfather served in Korea
hint #4- Jack himself has never been out of the continental United States (so far)
hint #5- These hints don't really mean anything, he could go anywhere regardless of any of this information!

23 comments:

ellen said...

EP says SPAIN!

Anonymous said...

Argentina.

laura said...

Russia

Kristin said...

Wow! The Grover's say Idaho, Boise specifically :)

Natalie said...

Ok I think since we all stayed in the US or in US territories I think he will go similar- so I think it will be . . . Wyoming

Laura Pinto-Nguyen said...

Russia comes to my mind too

Sherie said...

Peru

Sweetpea said...

Mexico City, Mexico

maggie-t said...

Taiwan :)

maggie-t said...

Taiwan :)

Sweetpea said...

Ray says Holland

Sweetpea said...

Wesley says Salt Lake

Anonymous said...

Since Jackson wants to go to an English speaking country he will probably go somewhere in South America, but my guess is Australia. Can't wait to hear the news. I think that will require a Skype visit. Love, Nana

Diane said...

I'm going to guess Mexico right now while I'm somewhat un-biased. Can I peak at his call if I promise not to tell? I would say one of the southern Mexico missions, but would love for it to be Guadalajara or Monterrey! :)
(though I'm probably way off anyway!)

Janika said...

Okay, I'll take a risk and say South Korea! Good luck, Jackson!

TMK said...

Argentina? It's as good a guess as any.

Dantzel said...

Mark says Toronto Canada
Dant says Alpine Germany
So excited for Jack and your fam:)

Margaret said...

Finland!

Peggy Beutler said...

Papa says,"South Africa"

Emily said...

Brazil!

Dantzel said...

Danielle says Vancouver, Canada

Paul said...

Korea, of course.

scribbler said...

Switzerland