Saturday, April 09, 2011

Metal Table Makeover



Here is another one of my latest finished projects that I'm excited to finally have finished up. It's a little metal table that was destined for the landfill, and in the before photos below you can really see why. It was a rusty, crusty mess, but I loved the shape of it and knew it could be an adorable farmhouse chic piece with a little love, elbow grease and lots of spray paint.



It's the perfect thing to hold some pretty white dishes and things in this little corner of my kitchen..





Here is a picture of the table before I started working on it:




See what I mean? Tons of rust and corrosion. I started out by scrubbing the whole thing down with soap and water using an SOS pad. Then I did a whole lot of sanding. It was impossible to get all the rust off but I tried to get as much of that and the flaky paint off as possible.




Then I broke out the Rust Stop primer- I think I used the ACE hardware brand, but I've used Rusoleum in the past. Normally for wood projects I use Kilz primer but for rusty metal I think it's good to use paint made to block rust. It took about 3 coats of primer and sanding in between to get it ready to paint.




Here it is in all it's glory after a whole lot of primer and 2 or 3 coats of glossy white spray paint.

 The one mistake I made is not completely taping off the black edge around the top shelf before I primed, so I kind of messed up the black paint in some areas, just a warning to you to remember that spray paint goes everywhere.

My one other big piece of advice- don't try to use spray paint outside on a windy day! I had to keep respraying spots where little bits of leaves, dirt, and a few bugs got stuck in the wet paint. That got super annoying. If you have a garage, that's even better than outside. Make sure you wear a mask when spray painting.


So, because I like before and afters so much, here is one more pic before:


And after:


                                               

16 comments:

ellen said...

I. love. it.

ellen said...

P.S. YOU'VE got vision!

ShantyGirl said...

What a beautiful metal table you now have! I love enamel topped tables and you have made yours beautiful!
Sherry

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

That is an amazing rescue! I think it looks great. I love metal tables. I have been learning from my own mistakes lately too :)

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I love me a good makeover and this is a winner hands down! Great job on creating a makeover masterpiece! Oh and I love the set up with the pitcher and dishes as well. Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

abeachcottage said...

Lovely makeover! Glad you added your link to the party, thanks for joining in at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Flo said...

I would have left that to rust! You did a great job and inspired me next time a see a piece like it!

Carly said...

Wow this is a fabulous makeover! Lovely

Erin @ Carolina Country Living said...

All your persistence, sanding and priming really paid off! Love that table and the way you staged it. :)

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I featured your pretty metal table on my blog today. Come grab and I'm featured button to add to your blog!

Jacqueline said...

What a great transformation, I love metal furniture, I'd love for you to link this up at my party...
Simply Creations Link Party

Carmella said...

Wow! So beautiful! And it makes me sad to think, we used to have a rusty, old stand like that in our garage and we did throw it away....who knew it could have been so pretty? Great job!

Eileen @ Cottage Beach House said...

Wow that is a great makeover. You had to have a lot of patience working with getting that rust off. the final result is really great. Your accessories really make it sparkle!

PicturePerfectPixies said...

That is one of the best transformations I have seen. Great job!

Thanks for sharing where all the "goodies" came from as well.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Wow... stunning transformation! The metal table looks brand new! Love how you've staged it as well. :)

Donna

Paula said...

istrhnoCan you tell me the paint color of the wall behind the metal shelf. It is such a beautiful color.