Friday, April 08, 2011

Little Girl's Bed Makeover



Hello Everyone! After a kind of long blog break I am back. For the last few months, every time I thought about doing a new post, I would then think- eh, don't feel like it. Don't really have any better explanation that! Anyway, I am back in the groove and have a bunch of new projects to share with you.

Here are some photos of my little girl's new bed. I found this bed a few years ago and have been patiently waiting for her to have her own room so I could finally make it over.



A few weeks ago (as soon as all the snow was melted out of my back yard) I got it out of storage to get going on fixing it up.



Here is what it looked like before- not so cute! (speaking of not so cute, these pictures make me realize that our back yard is really pathetic looking and needs major help)

And here it is after an entire afternoon of sanding with both the electric sander and by hand to remove most of the chipped, peeling paint and smooth out all the gouges in the wood. Because of all the curvy lines and  grooves it took forever.The sanding is definitely my least favorite part of any furniture transformation project.



 Detail of the cute bedposts

I then primed and painted it white, I used spray primer and plain white semi gloss spray paint. I would have preferred to use White Dove (Benjamin Moore) like I did on her bedside table, but I just couldn't stand to think about trying to paint all of those curves and grooves with a brush or sponge so I stuck with the spray paint for this one. I took a few days to get all the coats on, and overall I probably spent a week with all the touching up and multiple coats (I usually lightly sand between each coat, esp after the primer).



This bed is perfect for her  room because even though it has both a headboard and footboard and posts they are pretty short so it doesn't overwhelm the room which is kind of small..


Here is another picture of the duvet without the cover. The bedding will probably change again at some point because I have been saving my favorite fabric- Moda's Seaside Rose- to make a quilt for her. That one is at the top of my long quilting to do list!




Some info in case you're interested:

Wall color- Sugarcane by Benjamin Moore, lightened 25% with white which I mixed with measuring cups 
myself because I am dumb and didn't know you could ask the paint store guys to do that for you :)
Duvet- Target; duvet cover and pillowcase was a major score a couple of years ago at our elementary school's community yard sale. It is Garnet Hill.
Dust ruffle- Shabby Chic from Target
lamp- Target but it was a few years ago
quilted cat- antique store in Maine
quilts- made by me :)

7 comments:

Judy said...

I just love what you've done with that bed. What a great find and so cool that you were just waiting to make it over. I love everything about her room. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogpsot.com. Thanks so much.

Kindra-At Home With K said...

I'm your newest follower. I'm so impressed with all your projects and makeovers. This bed is so sweet. Love the detail. Thanks so much for linking up to Terrific Under Ten!

Angela (Cottage Magpie) said...

So cute! I love the cheery red and white quilt against the other colors. And I share your love of Moda's Seaside Rose. I have 10 yards of it that I have been meaning to make into a whole clothe quilt for AGES. Or a duvet cover. Probably faster! Ha!
Looks super cute.
~Angela~

abeachcottage said...

Lovely bed makeover. Love the quilt! Thanks so much for stopping by at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays & joining the party!

At The Picket Fence said...

What an absolutely darling room and that bed looks fantastic! I'm a new follower and we host a linky party every week and would love to have you join in the fun sometime! :-)
Vanessa

white life© said...

It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on Miss Mustard Seed. So I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

Take care
Tine

Fishtail Cottage said...

Very sweet the way it turned out - bet she loves it! fantastic job on the paining of the bed! oxox, tracie