Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Entryway Before and After



 I'm really excited to show you the before and after pictures of our home's entryway today. Like everything else in our fixer-upper, it has sure come a long way.  Here is a picture of this table before I made it over. The bottom shelf was all warped and broken so I asked my friend to cut me a new piece out of plywood, then attached it and painted the whole thing white. Now it's one of my favorite pieces of furniture. 

I am a huge fan of barn stars, I bought this one at a really fun shop in our town that unfortunately went out of business. I did get a whole bunch of cool stuff there on sale first though.



 I thought about painting this little dresser white at first but the color grew on me so I left it as is.

 I ordered this photo of my kids from Canvas People. 

This little metal angel is a replica of the angel that flew on top of the original Nauvoo Temple. We bought it in a shop in Nauvoo on our trip across the country when we moved here from Arizona almost 6 years ago. Seeing that Temple that was burned so long ago rebuilt was an absolute miracle to me. I love that there is a little piece of  our church's history here.


Here is your view as you walk in our front door. One of my favorite changes is the light fixture in here.

Here is a before picture:



It seriously grosses me out to remember how smelly and disgusting this house was before we practically killed ourselves fixing it up. Ugh. In this photo the wallpaper has already been removed but before there was dirty beige wallpaper on the walls.



Another shot of our much improved entryway looking into the laundry room. There are shutter doors to the laundry that I still need to paint white and rehang. The tile is not what I would have chosen but I can live with it. The good thing about it is that it doesn't show any dirt, which is a big plus in this house.



I'm pretty proud of the work on the stairs since I did most of it :) You may be able to see in that above before pic of the stairs how scratched and gouged the dark stained wood was all up the staircase on both sides. I had to spackle and sand all of that wood, then prime it (3 coats of primer) and then paint it all. It was really, really hard work.
 The wood floors and stair treads were professionally sanded and varnished.

Really ugly original light fixture:


Not to mention the filthy, tobacco stained ceiling. Yuck.

This little chair is a favorite find of mine:


I love how you can see 3 or 4 layers of different paint on it. It was chipping a lot so all I did was scrub it well and sand it down so the paint wouldn't continue flaking off. 
This little basket is one I made a long time ago. Yes, I actually took a basket weaving class in college! 



I wanted this area to have a really beachy feel to it, so I filled different containers with some of our ocean finds from Cape Cod.


I realy like wreaths too, I think I have at least one in almost every room in my house.


This other glass jar is filled with some shells I've had since childhood, and some from a trip to St. Thomas.

Here is the view looking down from the top of the stairs:



And here it is after:



The color on the wall is Quiet Moments, by Benjamin Moore. The name makes me laugh because with 5 kids- 4 of them boys- there aren't too many quiet moments around here!
This color is a beautiful grayish blue that reminds me of the color of seawater- exactly what I was going for.



Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Wow, it all looks so much better! I love what you did with the space. It must feel so good to come home to this every day! :-)

Machelle said...

You hsve done a fabulous job on the house. I love it because you show how much you love each item.

Angela (Cottage Magpie) said...

Wow! What a spectacular makeover! It just looks lovely. Very inspiring! I'm still in "ugly 80's" phase, so it's so nice to see the afters! :-) There's hope! :-)

~Angela~

P.S. Keep the photos comin'!

Holly said...

WOW, Elizabeth, you are totally awesome. I now know who I need to be shopping with and who needs to give me ideas. Did you know we might be moving out there? Anyway, your ideas are great!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, now that is a real transformation!! You did a great job styling the space. All of the individual pieces are adorable. :)

Cottage Touch said...

Inspiring project and blog.

Every Day Blessings said...

this is darling and thanks for posting all the details!

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

What a great post! You have done an amazing job making over your entry! I am very fond of Cape Cod as well- so I love the photo and the shells. The stair makeover is so impressive and I love your furniture redo- especially the colors!

Jane @ Jane's Junk and Treasures said...

WOW everything looks amazing!!
Those STAIRS!! Barf!!!

You've done a wonderful job!!

abeachcottage said...

Love the transformation of your entryway. You did an amazing job with the stairs too! Glad you added your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

Anonymous said...

I loved your small entryway! I even repinned it on Pinterest! One thing though- I would change out the light switch cover to one painted the same beautiful color as your wall.