Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Decor 2010






 I love going to concerts and parties at Christmastime, but my absolute favorite place to be is home. Watching Christmas specials together, drinking hot chocolate, baking pumpkin bread, sitting in a room lit with tree lights and candles, with Christmas carols playing. This is an extra special year since it is the first year in our new home. It has been really fun to decorate our house that we've been working so hard to renovate for the last several months.

Probably my favorite feature of this house is the living room fireplace and mantle..

I wanted the it to have a really natural feel to it and be mostly green and white with a little sparkle. I used greens and lots of things I already had including my salvaged window and pinecone wreath I made last year. I was so happy to discover that I have several cedar bushes in my backyard. I mixed this with other greens and used them throughout the house.

I got this vintage looking enamelware pitcher at Ikea when we went for my birthday last week. It reminds me of the vintage French ones that you can find on ebay- but those are pretty pricey. I love that it is unbreakable (kind of a necessity in this house!), and I used it as a water pitcher when we hosted advent last Sunday, so it's not just decorative but useful.
(kitchen wall color is Silver Sage by Benjamin Moore)

Here is our entry way. It has taken a lot of work to get it looking like this! Think horrible dingy brown wallpaper, gloppy white painted banister, dark wooden stairs and woodwork. It's such a huge improvement! The wall color is called Quiet Moments by Benjamin Moore. 
I considered painting this little dresser white but I already have a lot of white furniture and the pale yellow shade has really grown on me. I love decorating with wreaths of all kinds. I really don't think you can have too many.
My Christmas living room. Before picture here. Pretty scary, huh?
(living room color is Manchester Tan by Benjamin Moore)

This little table is the first thing you see as you walk in the front door. I love to just plunk a big bunch of mixed greens in different types of antique buckets and call it good!

I love my antique woden flexible flyer sleigh too- a trash to treasure find from last year. My neighbor didn't sell it at their yard sale so I rescued it as they were putting it out for the trash. I was pretty proud since I've seen these in antique stores for $50-$70!


 I just painted the front door red about 3 weeks ago. The color is Benjamin Moore's Country Redwood.. Before it was very dingy black and reminded me of a prison door. I hated it and wanted to get a new door, but the budget prevented that for now so I decided to just paint it. It is so much more cheerful in red and perfect for the holidays!



Our Christmas tree this year is HUGE! We bought it at Home Depot one night and when we woke up it had relaxed poufed out like it was wearing a hoop skirt! I thought, oh no this is going to be too big but pushed slightly in the corner it looks fine.

I really, really wanted to put the tree in my huge galvanized tub this year. It was kind of a pain to get it in there, but I really like the way it looks. I just spread a little batting around the floor around it to look like snow. So far, we're still waiting for the real thing around here.

We need to have our fireplace fixed before we can actually light a fire in it, but I love decorating it so much that I don't even mind. This stick tree is one of the first decorations I bought, and it's one of my favorite things. I'm so happy it survived it's cross country trek! It goes well with my stick reindeer. I love anything made out of sticks. Another thing you can never have too much of in my book.

I made this simple arrangement with candles that I bought at Ikea and cranberries. The only problem is that the platter it's on is curved so the candles aren't totally flat on it. When I burned them they burned the sides of the candles next to them. So I guess next time I'll have to find a flat plate to do this on. It looked so pretty in the dining room all lit up when we had company over for dinner.

Are you ready?! I hope so because now it's only six days! Thank goodness for Amazon Prime is all I have to say.

When you walk into our house, this wall is on your right. It's all the kids' Christmas art projects I've saved through the years.


It's not quite the same without a porch to decorate like last year.
I really miss having the porch but I tried to do my best with the entry and front door on our split level type ranch house, and make up for it with decorations and lights on the house. I made 4 wreaths for the front outside windows and put candles that shine in the middle of the wreaths from inside.We have a great neighborhood and almost every house on our cul-de-sac has lights of some kind.

I love my cute outdoor nativity made from fenceposts a friend made for me several years ago.


Well, that concludes my tour of our Christmas home. I'm linking this to the Christmas Tour of Homes at the Nesting Place (just in the nick of time, today is the last day), and Funky Junk Interiors Christmas Full Home reveal party, and any other holiday linky parties that are still open. Merry Christmas!

20 comments:

Kate said...

Your house looks SO Nice! I can tell you've done a lot of work! Christmas is a great way to show it off, thanks for sharing all your cute ideas! Miss you all and wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

ellen said...

It looks so cool. I need to visit again!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Gorgeous! I just love your old windows and wreaths, they always draw me right in. And oooooh yeah on the galvanized tub for the tree! High five! Love it!

Donna

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Your home looks great...love your mantel...it's my fav! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Blessings,
Linda

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Your house looks so warm and welcoming. I love your window on the mantel and your cute outdoor nativity.
Merry Christmas!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Everything looks so cozy and wonderful! I love all the vintage touches. So festive for Christmas.

{northern cottage} said...

woodland theme is YUMMY. Just love all your displays and the vintage=y feel they all have. Gorgeous!

Robin said...

Oh MY! your home is so pretty. I just love your style. The woodland theme is so perfect for your home. Fabulous job.

Carolyn said...

I love all the natural touches you have added to your home-great job!

Enjoy your Christmas with your family.

Carolyn

Natalie said...

I love all the decorations. I totally agree with not having too many wreths or sticks. There is a tree at Target that I am going to get, I would wait for after christmas, but I'm not a crazy person and don't want to get up at the crack of dawn to get the deals. I will pay the extra and buy it now. I found this year that I have less places to decorate. I can't put anything too close to the ground because Duncan thinks he should help me by tearing it down.

Rachel said...

Your home looks so cozy and beautiful!! Love your blog!Im your newest follower too~*~Hugs,Rachel

*French Farmhouse 425*

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Gorgeous decorating!! Love it all!!

Kelly Mann said...

So pretty! We have such similar tastes in colors! Love me some Benjamin-Moore!

DANA said...

Hello! I found you at Cottage Instincts and I am loving your blog! I wanted to invite you to enter my $50 American Express giveaway and my link party that are both going on this week! Keep up the great blogging and happy holidays! -Dana

http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.htm

Rene said...

Elisabeth, the moment I saw your galvanized bucket, I knew the rest would be a treat. I love the old window frames and yours behind the wreath is so fun.

Thanks for joining the "Tour of Homes" party. Happy holidays!

-Rene

Elizabeth said...

What a lovely home you have! Thanks so much for sharing! Hoping you'll visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made With Love Monday! Wishing you a very blessed Christmas! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

Sweetpea said...

Can you come decorate my house, PLEASE?

Erin said...

Beautiful! I love all the natural elements you incorporated into your decorating. It inspired me to snip some cedar branches from the woods. Merry Christmas!

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Wow!! Everything is looking gorgeous! I looooove your mantle- great job! : )

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, your fireplace is gorgeous! I love how you decorated your mantle!!!

:)