Sunday, November 07, 2010

Fall Decor Details


-I stitched this little pumpkin embroidery onto muslin a couple of years ago. These stick pumpkins are from Target, although it was a couple of years ago. I usually buy seasonal decor after the holiday when stuff is 50-75% off, and I'm sure that's when I bought these. The little fabric pumpkins were made by me a few years ago.

I took so many pictures when I was photographing the living room that I thought I'd share a few more of them! I had a lot of fun breaking out the fall decor this year and using some of the antiques and things I've been collecting for a while. It also kind of hides the fact that I'm not really done decorating the room and there's nothing on the walls yet.

-I love this striped mini gourd. I tried to keep the colors on the mantle more to the whites and browns with just a little touch of orange.
I really like to decorate with items from nature like pinecones, acorns, leaves and things like that. I also like to use items that can stay out all year round, like buckets, pitchers, and things that are pretty neutral. That way I can just rotate what goes in them to change for the season. I bought this ruffled white cake plate at Homegoods a while ago, and just piled it up with some white squash, acorns, and some other really cool spiky seed thingies that I collected last year.

-The viney looking pumpkins on the mantle are from Target dollar section this year.

Remember the little mini pots that I saw when in a Brewster shop we were at the Cape in the summer? They weren't for sale but I really loved them. A couple of months later I saw some similar ones at Whiteflower Farmhouse and bought a few of them. Apparently they are made from zinc and they are old sap buckets, just a mini size. I filled the top one with dirt and then "planted" some moss from my yard on top of it, then sat one of my mini white pumpkins on top.

I bought the tall, galvanized metal pail on the hearth from Whiteflower Farmhouse also, as well as this white sap bucket in the photo below.
Note: WFF is located on Long Island and I'd really, really love to make a pilgrimmage there someday. To visit the shop, but also because it looks like such a beautiful area, and I've never been to Long Island at all before.
 I bought the black metal coal holder- I think it was called a "coal hod" back in the old days- when I went antiquing in Portland, Maine last February. (note to self- don't go to Maine in the winter when it's freezing cold again!) I just filled it with some firewood I already had. 

-old white sap bucket with grocery store mums plunked inside. Little fabric pumpkin made by me :)


I just love old windows and couldn't pass this one up when I saw it sitting out on the curb waiting to be sent to the landfill. I always think it's kind of sad to see original old windows like this going into the trash and feel like they should be rescued. Instead of "old windows destined for the trash" you can call it "architectural salvage." This window has more panes that are smaller than usual and a great old crackled finish. I always think it's funny when I see these for sale in antique or junk shops because with all the old houses that are being renovated all the time around here you can always find them if you're willing to stop and pick them up.

-Safety note about old windows: Because of worry about lead paint, I only use windows as decor in high places where little hands can't reach. I also clean them well first to make sure there isn't any dust from the window floating around.
I already had this grapevine wreath and I just hung my Indian corn I bought at Wilson's Farm in Lexington from it with a strip of burlap.

These BOO letters and other wooden Halloween shape thing are from one of my favorite places ever- Gardner Village in Midvale, Utah. I just love that place and really miss being able to visit the shops there. When I'm in Utah, that is a must-stop place for me. I always find something in their big Country Furniture and Gifts store, not to mention the Pineneedles quilt store.

 I have a bit of an addiction to dressers. This one is kind of rickety and isn't really fit for everyday use as clothes storage, but I love having all that drawer storage in other parts of the house for miscellaneous stuff.  O For fall, I tend to decorate with mainly things that can stay up through November, like lots of pumpkins, instead of stuff that is really Halloween specific. I don't really like spooky Halloween decor for my house, it kind of just creeps me out. I saw lots of blogs using those fake black crows for decoration in October but even though I think they look kind of cool and were used cleverly in other people's houses, I don't think I'd want a creepy black bird staring at me at night in my house- even if it's fake!

I bought these "Fall" wooden blocks at Deseret Book in St. George, UT the last time we went there for Thanksgiving, which was a couple of years ago.

Maybe my all time favorite fall decor are these three little pumpkins in front of the window on the mantle. I bought them at Wilson's Farm the first year that we moved here- 5 years ago! I really love them. They're not wood or ceramic, I actually have no idea what they're made of, but they're heavy.


This is a Red Wing crock that I bought from the Faded Prarie etsy shop. I know people collect these, they have different numbers and sizes and things but I don't know too much about them except that the company has been around for a long time and is located in Red Wing, Minnesota.

Well, there you have it. I can't believe that in a couple of weeks it will be time to put all this away and start bringing out the Christmas stuff!

No comments: