Thursday, October 21, 2010

Gloucester and Essex

We drove through Gloucester on our way up to Rockport but didn't really stop so I just took a few pictures of the Harbor from the car.


Then they raised the bridge for a few minutes so some boats could get through.
While we were waiting I hopped out and snapped a quick photo of the women of Gloucester memorial. It's a woman and her two little kids looking out to sea waiting for their sailor. Lots of them didn't come back.

This is the memorial for the fisherman of Gloucester. It says:
" They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships 1623-1923 "
I read that in 1879 alone they lost 249 men from Gloucester in a big storm.
We had lunch at Essex Seafood, a tiny little place but the seafood is so fresh and good. I love their clam chowder and this time I had my old standby- fried scallops- with sweet potato fries which was awesome. Highly recommend eating there!

No comments: