Sunday, September 19, 2010

Clambake

Yesterday was our ward's annual clambake at Crane's beach. I think it was the best one yet!

Teenage fun

The weather was absolutely perfect! Everyone hung out at the beach for a long time and lots of people went swimming. I even got wet up to the knees.




My 11-year-old took all of these pictures. Here's a picture of he and our friend Ellen "camera sniping" eachother.

We ate so much good food- corn on the cob, hot dogs, yummy salads, clams, homemade peach raspberry and rocky road ice cream, and of course lobster!


My #2 son invited a couple of his school buddies to come along. They found some young ladies to hang out with!

#1 son joined in the volleyball action. He was on the HS team last year and I think #2 son plans to join him this year.


Right down the road from the beach is a place called Russel Orchard. You can go there to pick apples and buy fresh apple cider and everyone's fave- cider donuts. The store is a big old wooden barn. It's a tradition to stop for donuts on the way home from the clambake. It's usually about closing time and there is a huge line of people waiting for their donuts. While you're in line, it's fun to watch them drop the circle of dough into the hot grease, let it fry for a couple of minutes and then come down the conveyor belt right into your bag. They're so hot you have to leave the bag open or it would melt right through. You can't get any fresher than that. YUM! We bought donuts, cider and apples to fortify us for the ride home. It was the perfect New England fall day!

2 comments:

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

Hi Elisabeth...Oh! This post makes me miss living in Massachusetts. I SOOOO miss New England in the fall. sigh.

I just wanted to drop you a line and let you know about the sofa slipcover...it's Idemo Beige (I think that's how they spell it.) And I also think they're phasin it out...they had signs on the sofa in the store that said "last chance to buy". But, as you said, you'd probably be able to find them on E-bay or something like that.

Hope this helps!
Wendy

Teresa said...

That looks like so much fun! We used to live fairly close to the water....I miss it!