Friday, May 07, 2010

Jim Henson Project

My 8th grade son was assigned a big biography project for English class and he chose to do it about Jim Henson. He got really into the project- see the resemblance?!

The project requirements were to read at least one book about the person, create a costume of the person, and a poster with a timeline of all the major events in the person's life, then do an oral presentation for the class about the person- dressed up as the person!
Later this month they also have to complete a book report of the book they read for the biography project. My son decided to take the project to the next level and create his very own muppet! With some help from an internet tutorial, and mom :) he got to work.

This is our first puppet attempt. It was made with wool felt. It wasn't big enough and the fabric wasn't stretchy enough so this poor guy was cast aside and we tried again.


This time we used fleece. It is stretchier and we also cut it a lot bigger.

Here he is partway done

And the finished product! He named the puppet "Carret." He was really happy with it and took it to school as part of his presentation. He said the teacher didn't believe him that he made it himself. He really got into bringing the puppet to life and entertaining kids at school and at home!
He had lots of fun "researching" for this project by watching "Sesame Street" and several of the muppet movies, plus the entire first season of the original "Muppet Show" on dvd!
This was the perfect project for him to choose, he is really into theater and performing right now
(a couple of months ago he had a lead role in his school's production of the musical "Thirteen").
Here he is in his costume on the day of his presentation. He wasn't thrilled with the beard we got him- so that's why in this picture he looks more like an Oscar the Grouch lookalike :) He thinks it would be cool to work as a "muppeteer" when he gets older, and I love that he has big dreams.
Yesterday the entire 8th grade wore their costumes to school- I'm sure it was quite a sight!
I can't believe this kid will be at the HS next year. He certainly keeps life interesting!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

That is sooooo cool! I'm going to show these pictures to my class because we do a similar project during the year and sometimes I get good projects, but this is soooo awesome. Way to go to the next step Mas-I would give you an A+ How could the rest be anything but great!

Allison and Nathan said...

Too cool.

Nana said...

Good job Mason!

Alyson (New England Living) said...

That is so cool! I love Henson. I used to pretend to be Miss Piggy when I was little. Your kid did an awesome job!

And thanks for your comment on my post. It means a lot when others show their support and understanding, so thank you so much.

Angela (Cottage Magpie) said...

That is so cool! I'm totally inspired by that project you guys are doing together! Also, I have to say that the pinwheel quilt in the header is soooo cute! I have been wanting to make a pinwheel quilt for my daughter, too!
~Angela :-)