Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Holiday Decor

I've had a lot of fun decorating for the holidays this year. Remember the huge Christmas Village houses I bought last year? They're not really huge, it's just that I thought I was buying the little tiny ones and they arrived and were about 10x the size I thought they would be. Then I decided I really liked them after all and I just ordered a couple more that were on sale for next year! They are from Joann. I also got some bottle brush trees to go in the village and I love the way they make it look. I really like all three of the houses but I especially love the detail on the little log cabin. It might be hard to see, but on the porch there are tiny barrels of apples, boots and a little wreath on the door. I just love miniature things, I get that from my mom. These houses are supposed to light up from inside, but there isn't any outlet near that shelf. I wish they had left a little bigger opening in the back and I could have just used a little battery tea light. Those things are a great invention! For next year, I'll have to figure out how to light them up. I love Alicia's little glowing holiday village on Posie Gets Cozy.


So my big goal of a monthly Christmas didn't actually happen, but I did get three projects done during the year that I probably wouldn't have other wise, so overall I think it was a success and I think I'll do it again next year! The table runner was one of the projects that I actually finished. Here it is prettying up my trash-to treasure coffee table. I bought this old wire basket at a little shop in Maine when we were there this past fall.

I don't know why but it took me a long time to get this looking just right. I love to decorate up high, it's much less likely to get hit with a stray soccer ball or something that way (the kind of thing that happens a lot around my house!)


I'm so happy with our tree this year, it's the perfect size and a pretty shape. We went to a farm and chose our tree this year and it was so much fun! We walked through the apple orchards to the Christmas tree area and chose our tree. Then they cut it down for you and load it onto a little trailer and you hop on and ride back to your car with your tree. It's always hard to get a good picture of a lit tree without a flash. I don't really have a theme for my tree, I just collect and make ornaments I like. I guess you could call this a traditional, woodland country tree. I have a lot of those creature ornaments made of natural fibers- owls, mice, squirrel, hedgehog and a bear. Lots of glittery gold snowflakes too.



My big project for this year- the Star Quilt! I finished the top and then I had it quilted and I love the result. I had the quilter do stars and loops pattern on the inside, and holly leaves and berries on the border. One of the fabrics is little sprigs of holly and berries in all the different colorways of the Mistletoe Manor fabric line. Oh, and in this photo you can also see my third "Year of Christmas" project- the pixie elf guy. You know, I don't necessarily love my couch to death, but it's the right color for this time of year!




I loved this little tree that looks like it's made from an old sweater (from Target). I bought it one day when I was in there, and then went back and got the big one. I don't usually buy stuff before Christmas, but every once in a while I will if it's at least on sale. The after Christmas bargains are the best though.



A little corner to sit and read your favorite Christmas picture books.

The kids are sooo excited!

Is this some kind of a hint?!
Hope you enjoyed my Holiday Home tour. I'm linking this to the Nester's holiday home tour (along with about a thousand other people!)

3 comments:

Nana said...

Love how everything looks. Wish I could see it in person. Hope you all are having a fun Christmas time.Your quilt turned out so cute. Did you get the pinwheel one quilted?

Sweetpea said...

Love it, Mrs. Scream! Who did that?

ellen said...

I love all your decorations!