Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gratitude

I was really touched recently as I read this post on Clover Lane, a fun creative blog I really like. Touched as in, it made me bawl my eyes out. Often in my life I am focused on what I don't have, how things aren't perfect, and how I want more things. I forget that I should be grateful- like seriously grateful- that my family have all the basic necessities of life- like a home, clothing, food, education, and clean water to drink. I really love this time of year because it reminds me of that, and I like having a whole season to let those feelings sink into my heart.

There are a lot of charities out there, but I'm pretty impressed with the mission of this one. Water is the one basic thing that everyone needs to survive. The idea of a mother being forced to give her children unsanitary water, knowing that it might make them sick, but having no choice, is truly heartbreaking to me. I was also really inspired by this book I read just this past week.
So, I'll be donating money to this organization this year. $10 is not a lot of money to make such a big difference.
LDS Church Humanitarian Services is another place where I know my money will be used to the best advantage, for the most important basic necessities. I've loved being involved in various Church Humanitarian projects over the years.
Let's pretend we are in church, and I will close with a couple of my favorite scriptures:)


"For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?...

And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another."
(Mosiah Chapter 4:19&21, The Book of Mormon, Another Testament of Jesus Christ)

1 comment:

Natalie said...

first, i'm shocked
you weny to see New Moon! I cant get through the first movie. 2nd that is my favorite scripture.love you