Wednesday, July 29, 2009


A Mini Makeover
So here is a little project I did yesterday. Got out the spray paint and sprayed this Christmas tin. The tree was fine, but the red color was really orangey and not my favorite shade of red. I got the chance to go to Walmart a week or so ago- yes you heard me right! I know a lot of people like to dis Walmart, and believe me I've done it myself but I have to say, now that there are no Walmarts near me, it's a whole different story! The closest one is about an hour away. Anyhoo, I have only been to Walmart about 3 times in the last 4 years, it's not my favorite place in the world but this trip there didn't disappoint! The most exciting thing I found was spray paint- really cheap spray paint, like half the price that I pay in my town hardware stores, and WAY more color choices!! Wow, I couldn't believe how many color choices they had, I wish I had bought even more. This tin top is sprayed with ballet slipper pink- so pretty. I bought this and "celery" for a future furniture transformation for the little gal.
So, this tin looks cute, but I think I need to do a bit more experimenting, or just dry the paint longer, or shake the can longer because now it is stuck closed and I don't think the lid is going to come off at all- not exactly a good trait for a storage container. Anyway, I will buy a tin of cookies or something and try again, but it does look cute. I think I just have to practice my spray painting technique a bit more.

Christmas tin before:
I've got some other metal spray painting projects to share, and a few other Walmart purchases to show, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Liz, tape the inside of the lid with painters tape and then take off after it has dried,then it won't stick.

Jamie said...

Very cute! I'll have to try this. I have so many of these sorts of tins.

V and Co. said...

okay funny! next time you get a chance look on the picture of katies dresser and you will see a little tin EXZCTLY like you just did! same colors! i also even found one that was slightly smaller and stacked it on top! great minds think alike.