Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Pie Isn't Hard



So, I always think of pie as hard to make, or I guess it's the crust that I think is tricky, so I don't make it very often. So for Father's Day I decided to make an apple pie. I made the crust, and five minutes later when it was done I thought- that wasn't tricky, it was easy as... well, pie! So I think I have conquered my pie phobia and will try making it a little more. I did use homemade pie filling that was already made (thanks Kristin, it was yummy!) so that sped up the process too. As you can see, things like pie don't last long around here! It was so pretty when it came out of the oven, too bad I didn't get a pic before the hungry hordes got a hold of it!

So anyway, if you're intimidated by pie, here is my hubby's grandma's pie crust recipe that I use and always works out well for me. I have a cookbook that she made for the family of all of her recipes and it is my favorite, I use it all the time.

1& 1/3 C flour

1/2 t salt

1/2 C Crisco

3 T water (or a little more)

Cut Crisco into flour, then add water and mix with a fork, then roll out. I doubled it for a bottom and top crust, and I fold it in half after I roll it to put it in the pie plate. I also sprinkled sugar on the top crust.

Bring on the pie! I think I'll try cherry for the 4th of July.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am so glad you enjoyed the pie filling! I will have to make more this year. I still haven't mastered the pie crust and Shelly wins prizes all the time....I think I will need a lesson soon.