Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Bit of Birthday Sewing

So, a couple of months ago, my son pointed out that he had a birthday coming up, and that I hadn't ever made something for him (this isn't strictly true, I made him a blanket before he was born, and I really think I must have made him something in the last few years). Anyway, I thought it would be fun to make him a birthday project, something like this one, and this one I did for a couple of my other son's birthdays. So, I made him this penguin. I think he turned out pretty cute.

Here is a picture of it with his original drawing I had saved from a few years ago, when he used to draw penguins all the time. Unfortunately the paper version suffered a little water damage.


Anyway, he mentioned something about wanting a bear, so I made another one of these Martha Stewart bears too:


I think I've made about 5 of them now. I ordered wool felt from the company A Child's Dream Come True. In the past I have bought wool felt from Joann's to make some toys and dolls with, and I wasn't too happy with it. In a very short time it became really pilled and fuzzy. If your project is going to sit up on a shelf only, the Joann's wool felt is probably fine. If it's going to be handled at all however, it just doesn't hold up that well in my opinion. This other wool felt I ordered online is kind of expensive, but I decided that if I'm going to put in all that time and effort, it's worth it to get a little better quality material. I'm happy with these projects, but if you want to make a stuffed toy for snuggling, I don't really recommend wool felt at all, it definitely has an itchy quality to it. For that kind of thing I'd stick with cotton.


On a side note, how do you like my new chair? There are two of them, and I really love them a lot. At first I was thinking I'd repaint them white, but I kind of really like them how they are. I rescued these from my neighbor who was chucking them. They actually took a little metal cart that we were chucking, so it was a nice little swap (I think I got the better deal though!) Someday I want a big old pine farmhouse table for my dining room (when/if I have a dining room) and I'd like to paint all my mismatched chairs white to go around the table, with a bench on one side. I've almost got enough chairs, which we've collected from yard sales and rescued from various sources. So, now I've just got to find the perfect table. I'll have to do a post with all of my farmhouse style dining room inspiration photos to show you what I mean. I've got a bunch of other recent thrifty finds to show you too, still need to photograph those.