Thursday, May 07, 2009

Onesies








I have a lot of projects to catch up posting about. Spring is a super busy time of year for us with multiple sports seasons, and all the end of the year concerts and events at both church and school. So, stay tuned for more photos to come of what I've been up to in all my spare time (ha ha)!

So, last month my sister-in-law Nat found out that she is having a little boy! She had kind of been hoping for a girl (who can blame her?) so I thought I'd put together a bit of boyness to help her get excited for a little guy, they are just the greatest- take it from an expert! So anyway, I made her these little boy style onesies and I was so happy with how they turned out. I always see these projects on other blogs and etsy shops and think, I could do that, it looks easy! Well, it was pretty easy once I actually used the right materials. *note- innerfacing is not the same as fusible webbing. It took me a couple of tries, one ruined onesie and a lot of irritation to figure out I was using the wrong stuff!

So anyway, basically all you do is iron on your fabric shape that has had the wonder under applied to the back, and then zig zag around the shapes. My husband helped me with some of the drawing since I'm not exactly an artist in that way. In fact, my whole family laughs at my drawing attempts usually. So, I tried to make it personal to them, so the dog is since they have a scottie dog, the apple is since she's a teacher, the d is for the baby's name, and the boat (which is my favorite- love that Heather Ross fabric) is just cuz, boats are boyish I guess.

I will definitely be making more of these in the future. It is a nice gift when you want to give something handmade, but don't really have time for a whole quilt or something time consuming like that. I just need to figure out some girly designs now.
I've even been thinking of opening up a little etsy shop or something to sell stuff, but I can't decide if that's a good idea or not. I always worry about turning something I like to do into a job. I don't want crafting and sewing to feel like a chore since I love to do it. On the other hand, it would be fun to actually sell some stuff. On the other hand, I don't know if you can actually make enough for it to be worth your time, and I don't know if enough people read this blog to advertize and etsy shop enough. On the other hand... you get the picture!

Come on back soon for pictures of more sewing projects, before and after shots of my latest fixed up thrifty finds, plus pics from our fabulous spring break vacation!

5 comments:

rebecca said...

those turned out really cute! I love Heather Ross fabric too. I made Wesley's baby quilt using the VW van print for the backing. I cut one of the vans out of the scrap fabric and sewed it onto a t-shirt. I loved how it turned out.

Machelle said...

I really like those. They look great. I think if you make those a head of time and sell them It wont seem so bad. I have been thinking about that too.

Nana said...

Way cute! I am waiting for the DC pics! And I love seeingall your fun projects!

Natalie said...

I love them too!! I can't wait to put Duncan in them. Thanks again and you can send any experimental projects my way. Love you.

Trent, Sherie, Adam, Bridget & Baby! said...

wow, those are SUPER cute. I hate it when people say it's SO easy when I know I'd be sure to mess it up royally! Face it, you've got talent! :)