Sunday, May 24, 2009

Before and After, and Decision Help

Around here, this holiday was declared Project Weekend (by me of course!) I have a bunch of junky old, dark furniture that I have been wanting to paint for a long time. I was going to wait until all the projects were done so I could just show before and after pics, but now I need a second opinion! So anyway, I have a coffee table and two little end tables in my living room that I wanted to paint white. Remember this ugly old one I showed you last week? Well, a neighbor was getting rid of it and I thought that it had potential if painted white:

So, my hubby spent a good chunk of his Saturday fixing it up for me:
(Thanks honey)
He did a really good job, it was totally wobbly before and I didn't know if it could even be fixed. But he went above and beyond my request to just glue the legs or something, and instead he took it all apart and put it back together with new screws.
So then I got out my new favorite tool- the power sander! and sanded, and sanded, and sanded by hand some more, and then it looked like this:


Once the ugly old dark, chipped stain was off I thought it looked pretty good and I kind of liked the natural wood grain. So, that is my dilemma, should I still paint it white, or do something else? I'd really like some other opinions, so please feel free to leave a comment and vote on what you think I should do with my little project! Here are the options I was thinking of:
1. Paint white as originally planned (I already have the paint)
2. Use a white stain, so the wood grain shows through, but it's still somewhat white.
3. Paint the legs white and stain the top, either with light wood stain, or maybe even the white stain.
So, what do you think? Keep in mind that I am painting these two other little end tables white:


Here is the first one I've already started. This is it before (above)


Here it is after two coats of primer:

I think it already looks so much better!
I still plan to paint it with white latex, and then sand the edges for a slightly "distressed" look, and then possibly put on a final coat of polyurethane (that is a whole other story I'll probably ask your opinion about later)

Here is the other little table I'm planning on doing the same to:


I realize that these are not life-changing decisions or anything (duh! as my kids would say), but I always like to bounce ideas off of someone else. So, if you're not already totally bored with this topic, let me know your vote!
One other thing to keep in mind is that I'm kind of trying to go for a cottagey, beachy look that is also a little bit country, and even a tad shabby chic. Does that clarify things for you?! I've got one more day of Project Weekend, but I have a feeling it's going to spill over into the week, and probably next weekend too!
Hope you enjoy your extra day to work on whatever projects you're doing!





3 comments:

Natalie said...

Okay, I really like the white paint and the distress look. I think it goes with your living room. I like the Cape Cod feel it has.

scrapsidaisy said...

I have been in a painting frenzy lately and thinking about painting a coffee table and end table too. I have been looking for ideas and found this blog
http://theletteredcottage.blogspot.com/2009/05/half-note-cottage-sneak-peek.html
I love what she did with that table.

Stace said...

I agree with Natalie. Painting it white and distressing it goes better with your cottage style. Besides (you know me) anything with a cape feel gets my vote!! :)