Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Easter Lesson



I'm sure a lot of people have heard of this "Easter in a Dozen Eggs" lesson for kids about the crucifixion and resurrection, but in case there are some out there that haven't, I thought I'd post this. We did it for Family Home Evening on Monday night, but you could still do it another night this week, or when you do your egg dyeing, or on Easter Sunday. My kids thought it was really fun. It would be a fun primary lesson too. Basically, you fill each egg with object that represent part of the Easter story, and then read the scripture reference, or for younger kids just explain the meaning of each object. For instance, in one egg there are spices and the scripture is about when the women went to the tomb to anoint the body with spices. The week before this lesson, we showed them the "Lamb of God," a church video about the last week of Christ's life so we could be reminded about what actually happened around Easter time.

So, here is what you do:

*Label one dozen plastic eggs #1-12

*place an object and a paper with the corresponding scripture in each egg, here are the numbers and the object that go with each number:

1- leaf -Mark 11:8-9
2- piece of bread/sacrament cup -Mark 14:22-24
3- silver coins -Mark 14:10-11
4- purple piece of cloth/piece of paper with "King of the Jews" written on it
-Mark 15:16-18, 26
5- dice -Luke 23:33-34
6- small piece of string -Matthew 27:1-2
7- nail -D&C 6:37
8- cross made from toothpicks or popsicle sticks -Mark 15:25
9- small piece of white cloth -Matthew 27:57-60
10- spices -Mark 16:1
11-small stone -Matthew 27:60, Mat 28:2
12-Leave egg empty -Matthew 20:6, D&C 19:16-19

This has been a great way for us to focus more on the meaning of the Easter Holiday and teach the kids about Jesus Christ's atonement. I hope all of the scripture references are right, when we did it I got a couple wrong but I think they are fixed now. Have fun!

ps. I kind of combined ideas from a couple of different sources, and you could adapt the lesson however you want to work for your family. Here are some links where I found info:

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2006/03/an-easter-activity-for-family-home-evening/

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=da0436744d&view=att&th=118bca908c1ff1b7&attid=0.1&disp=vah&zw

1 comment:

Sweetpea said...

Hey, thanks for the idea. I have to plan my Easter primary lesson all by myself, no manual lesson, so now I'm all set!