Thursday, January 15, 2009

Christmas All Year!



Last year my friend Ellen and I talked about doing Christmas projects all throughout the year. It didn't quite happen last year but I decided that this year I'm really going to do it! I've been trying to make a Christmas quilt for the past 3 years. The first year, I found this fabric line that I LOVE, called Mistletoe Manor by Moda. Christmas fabric with PINK in it, what could be better than that? This pattern is a Buggy Barn star pattern. It's turning out so cute and I have lots of the fabric so I may even make a smaller wall hanging of it.
So, I bought all the fabric that first year and thought I would work on it during the holidays. Then I got pregnant and the worst of the sickness hit the beginning of December and unfortunately lasted through the holidays. Instead of Christmas crafting, I lay on the couch feeling nauseous for about four weeks. That was also the year that one of my kids had an emergency appendectomy a week before Christmas. So, needless to say, no Chrismas quilt that year! The second year I had a 4 month old baby- nothing more to say about that! This year I did try starting this quilt in early December but got sidetracked by other projects and gift making. So anyway, I decided that my new year's resolution would be to do Christmas all year round so that when the holiday season actually comes I can relax and enjoy it more rather than feverishly working on projects. For instance, this year I decided that I wanted to do homemade stocking for my two younger kids to match the ones I made several years ago for my older kids. I never managed to find the time to do it, then at midnight on Christmas eve I decided that I just HAD to sew those stockings! As a result I was up until 4:30 AM which I would really like to avoid in the future! So anyway, I'm starting with the Christmas quilt and my next priority will be finishing up the details of the hasily made stockings, like the crosstitched names on the cuffs and appliqued design on the stocking. My goal is to work on one project for me, big or small, each month and get at least MOST of my homemade gifts done before December so I can do more reading, relaxing, cooking, movie watching and projects with the kids instead of running around like a chicken with my head cut off! Of course, it wouldn't be Christmas eve if I weren't sewing down a quilt binding- some things will never change! So, stay tuned for a monthly dose of year-round holiday cheer!

7 comments:

rebecca said...

I'm totally with you on the year 'round Christmas plan. I think it will be much more fun than cramming;) I love your quilt! Buggy Barn has some great patterns, and the star ones are among my favs. Can't wait for the end result photos.

scrapsidaisy said...

That quilt is so cute! I love it. And I love the idea of doing more Christmas prep all year. It seems like every year I get a little bit more organized, but there is still a TON I could do beforehand.

Kristin said...

I can't wait to see what it looks like!

rolana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rolana said...

I love this fabric!! hardest part for me (okay, it's all a hard part) is choosing the right fabric. Going to look fantastic!

Drewmeister said...

I love the quilts--they are beautiful@

Janika said...

Okay, I just love this Christmas crafting all year long idea. I have so many projects up my sleeve. Can I join you sometime?!! Maybe that would give us an excuse to see one another!