Saturday, October 11, 2008

Peach Jam







I guess food is the theme of the day. My husband always makes fun of me for taking pictures of my food as I make it! Last month I made peach jam, which is my favorite. This is not really big news except that I wanted to report that I made low sugar version which is really good. First I used regular pectin and decreased the sugar to 5 cups, equal to the number of cups of fruit. It says not to do that but it set up fine. Then I bought some low sugar pectin and for that one you only have to use 3 C sugar for 4&1/2 cups peaches. I think the taste is even better with less sugar. So for any of you who have thought about trying it, just want to let you know that it works and is yummy! I also blended some of the fruit in each batch which #1 saved time and #2 made the consistency smoother. We're just like squirrels around here storing up our food for winter! And as you can see I had a great little helper, as usual. Actually, she is not at all helpful, she is a menace! She likes to do things like take one bite out of every piece of fruit, climb on the table and dump sugar on the floor so it will be nice and gritty! For some reason I thought that being a girl she wouldn't be quite such a climber and into everything, but now I realize how silly I was to think that she would be some dainty little thing who didn't make messes! Anyway, it is a good feeling to get a chore like that done and very satisfying to open my jam cabinet and have it be all full. Toast, here we come!
Thus ends my excessive number of posts about food, for now anyway.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Good for you, doing all these food things! I need to really get into that! Glad to see you are still out there! We are SO excited for Thanksgiving!

Allison and Nathan said...

I made peach jam for the first time last month. It turned out surprisingly well for my first attempt at canning anything. Utah is great in the summer. We bought alot of produce (mostly just peaches) at farmers markets and fruit stands - something that Arizona simply didn't have. Nathan has been in heaven!

Andrae said...

keep taking pics of your food AND your kids!!! I love pics!! that little girl of yours is just soooo cute...i love the pictures of her in this post with her cute hair!

Frozen Cacti said...

I LOVE homemade peach jam. Would you be willing to let me buy a jar from you??? Seriously.