Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Cake!




I really wanted to try a tiered cake for this party. I took the Wilton classes a long time ago and made one with columns, but I wanted to make it with not so much space in between the layers. This actually didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, I really wanted it to look like they were just stacked on top of eachother. That is kind of hard to do though, so I guess I'll have to try again sometime and work on my cake architecture skills. Overall it was pretty cute though. I loved the color and the white dots. It was a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting that was half butter and half shortening. That seemed to be the perfect combo for frosting that held together well compared to all butter that I usually make. It was the perfect consistency to fit in the bag for decorating. I used the #4 round tip, and the bottom layer is 8", the middle is 6", and I'm not actually sure what the little layer is because all they had was little springform pans in that size and they didn't have the size on the pan but it was probably 4". I made yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting and used the leftover white icing to pipe little letter A's on them. Watching her demolish her little mini cake top was the highlight of the party!

5 comments:

Andrae said...

will you make my birthday cake too? the cake looks great!

Kristin said...

The cake was beautiful!

Becca said...

Gorgeous cake!

Sweetpea said...

I want some of that birthday cake. Right now.

Drewmeister said...

The cake and cupcakes look fantastic. I didn't realize this was one of your talents--what a fun talent to have!