Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Cake


This is our new favorite chocolate cake. I've made about 6 of them in the last couple of weeks for different events. In fact, I've got one in the oven right now for preschool teacher appreciation lunch tomorrow. It is called food storage cake because it uses basic food storage ingredients and doesn't have any eggs in it. It is really moist and tasty. We've made it with chocolate frosting, which is good, and for Memorial Day we did whipping cream frosting with berries to make a flag. I also like this cake because you mix it in the pan which cuts down on dirty dishes!
Here is the recipe:

3 C flour
6 T cocoa
1 t salt
2 T vinegar
2 C cold water
2 C sugar
2 t baking soda
2 t vanilla
2/3 C oil
Mix dry ingredients in a 9x13 pan. Make three wells and pour vanilla, vinegar, and oil in wells. Pour water over all and mix well. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. The original recipe I got said that mint frosting is good on it too and I'm sure it would be.

4 comments:

Cami said...

That is yummy-looking cake. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Frozen Cacti said...

I heard about how good this cake is, so I also thank you for posting the recipe. I'm sure we won't need to find a reason to make it!

Jennifer said...

I'm going to have to try this recipe!! Your cake looked beautiful, and I'm sure it's SO tasty!

Dantzel said...

You know how I love festive recipes, so I'll be trying it out!! I'm so glad your back on the blog--I've missed you!