Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Quilt in a Day? Check.





This is the quilt that I gave to my brother and his wife for Christmas. I have it in my mind that I eventually want all of my close family and loved ones to have a quilt made by me. Kind of an ongoing life goal I guess you could say. So anyway, I bought all of the fabric well in advance, like before Thanksgiving, but of course every time I thought I would get started on it something else would come up. Like my son asking for four teacher gifts at 7 AM on Friday before Christmas vacation! (I sewed ornaments in the morning and dropped them off at his class party that afternoon. I know- crazy!) I also decided to do a quick tied quilt for my neice out of some adorable heart flannel I found at Joann. So, the quilt kept getting put off. It got down to the weekend before Christmas and I was thinking I was going to have to give up on the whole idea. Then for some reason, I woke up at 4 AM on the 23rd and couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided I might as well get sewing! I sewed for about 9 straight hours! I got the entire quilt top done that day and was starting to think that the quilt might actually get finished. The morning of Christmas eve I had some last minute errands to do, like buy batting for the quilt, plus celebrate my younger brother's Christmas Eve birthday, but other than that I was sewing like a madwoman! Late on Christmas eve I finished all but the handsewing of the binding- it was a Christmas Miracle!! I was really happy with how it turned out and they seemed to like it. It looks really good draped over their red couch. I had to show you a closeup of this red fabric that I absolutely love! I went back and bought a few more yards to have on hand for myself because I liked it so much. Since it was from Joann's this was affordable!
A few technical details for those who might be interested:
The squares are 9", and I think the rows are 7 across and 9 down (sadly I had to ask my 11 year old for the answer to this timetable to figure out the total # of squares, and now I don't remember it. That is the extent of my extreme math challengedness!). There are six fabrics so that is what makes the diagonal pattern (using one less fabric than # of rows). I would have probably separated the dark browns more. It is different when you do a diagonal pattern, you have to lay out more than the first row to see how it's going to go, so next time I'll lay out more first.
Stay tuned for more sewn Christmas gifts...

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Gorgeous! I'm a sucker for quilts and yours turned out really nice. I love it.

Kristin said...

I just love all the colors you put together. You have such a good eye!

Jennifer said...

I can't beleive you made that in that amount of time.

It is so cute!