Friday, November 30, 2007

I'm a Nerd

I just cancelled our Netflix membership and I'm feeling really guilty about it. Don't get me wrong, it is a great company and they've always sent my movies out in record time. The problem is that I don't have good timing myself, so a lot of times Friday or Saturday night would roll around, and no movie. A movie was coming next Tuesday. Who watches movies on Tuesday! It's not their fault I can't time my movie mailing to get a movie on the weekend, but that is the reality of the situation. So, I switched to Blockbuster online. I feel like a traitor, Benedict Arnold! I am a brand loyal person. If I like something, I like to reward the company with loyal business. I belive in recommending good products to my friends. But I need to be able to go switch my movie out on the weekend every once in a while- IS THAT SO WRONG?!
Anyway, at the end of the cancellation, there are questions about why you switched. I always lie guiltily on these questionaires to soften the blow- it's not you, it's me! Really! As if they are going to be taking it personally. As if the person who came up with the original idea for the Netflix company is personally reading it and my answers are going to hurt their feelings and ruin their day. As if anyone besides a computer gives a care what I do!
I gave them a really high service rating, and said it was "household expenses" that made me switch, instead of the truth which is the fact that they don't have a brick and mortar location. And I said I would be getting my movies at a local store, not Blockbuster online which was one of the choices and actually the truth. I always do this, I don't like to think I am making someone feel bad. I know, it's psychotic. I know that logically but I still do it. When I rate the movies on the website, I never choose the worst rating if the movie was awful, even though it isn't even them who actually made the movie.
I know, I am a major nerd. I realize it, I embrace it.

2 comments:

Sweetpea said...

It's okay, love your inner nerd!

dutchess of malfi said...

My grandmother kept old newspapers in the trunck of her car so when she went to more than one grocery store she could cover up the groceries and not make the bag boy at the next store feel bad!