Thursday, November 08, 2007

Cranberry Season



I got really excited the other day when I saw that there were cranberries for sale in the grocery store. I always buy a bunch and freeze them to use later in the year when they aren't available. I made these muffins Sunday morning and they were gone by the next day. I think I ate at least 8 of them myself! Then I made the apple-pear-cranberry crisp Tuesday night. I love the fall, and although I don't really like winter too much, I do like to bake and make soup and cold weather is the perfect time for doing those things. Here is the recipe for the muffins. Happy Baking!

Cranberry Muffins (from the Wilson Farms cookbook)
1 C coarsely chopped cranberries
2/3 C sugar
2 C flour
3 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cinnamon
1/3 C butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
3/4 C milk
1 t vanilla
1/4 C chopped nuts

Mix cranberries and 1/3 C of the sugar and set aside. Sift the flour, the remaining 1/3 C of sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon together into a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into dry ingredients. Beat egg, milk, and vanilla together in another bowl, then stir into flour mixture. Stir nuts and reserved chopped cranberries and sugar into the batter. Spoon into prepared muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
*note- I doubled this and it made 3 dozen muffins. I also sprinkled the tops with sugar/cinnamon sugar before baking.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love cranberries. Thanks for including the recipe for the muffins. The end result looks delicious!

Kristin said...

Thank you for the recipe. I can't wait to make them!

love_suz said...

I am going by the store to pick up some fresh cranberries today! Those muffins look fabulous.