Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Upside-Down Berry Cornmeal Cake



This cake was on the cover of my Better Homes and Garden magazine I just got the other day. Late last night I decided to try it out and it was really good! I love fruit desserts, and cakes that aren't as sweet. You can use any berries but I used blueberries and strawberries-yum. It came out of the oven and I iced it, cut a slice and took a bite and realized that I had forgotten to take the wax paper off the the cake! I took my husband's piece back into the kitchen, removed the paper and re-iced it and it was fine. I was trying to hide that mistake from my husband because he still likes to tease me about the Christmas Eve- like 12 years ago- that I forgot to take the plastic wrap off of the rolls before I baked them. It took us a minute to figure out why they were so shiny when they came out of the oven! Luckily we didn't eat any of the rolls with melted plastic, and I doubt the little piece of wax paper I ate last night could really hurt me. Other than that, it was a quick, easy and yummy cake that makes a good breakfast too!

2 1/2 C berries
1 & 1/3 C flour
1/2 C yellow cornmeal
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 C sugar
2/3 C milk
1/3 C oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8-in round cake pan, line bottom with parchment paper (I use wax), grease. Arrange 2 C berries in bottom of pan, set aside. In a bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt. In another bowl whisk eggs, sugar, milk, oil. Add egg mix all at once to flour mixture, and stir until combined. Pour evenly over berries. Bake 40-45 min or until pick in center comes out clean. Cook in pan 5 min, run knife around edge of pan to loosen sides. Invert onto plate. REMOVE PARCHMENT! Top with glaze of 1/3 C powdered sugar, 2 t milk, and 1 t lemon juice, and some extra berries if you want. Tases especially good warm.

2 comments:

Nana said...

This looks yummy!

Sweetpea said...

I want some...