Friday, July 13, 2007

The Stuffed Menagerie






One day last week I woke up super early and decided to try a few projects I've had in my "to do" folder for quite a while, and here is the result. These are all free patterns from different craft blogs, and were all fairly easy to make, esp the bunnies. I had one baby hand me down outfit that had a really bad blue stain down the front, so I cut it up and used it to make the bunnies, with just a little bit of pink and white cotton embellishment. The pattern can be found on Betz White's blog under "cashmere bunnies tutorial." These bunnies are sooo soft. My only suggestion is to put the ears next to eachother, not side by side as in the directions. I think my first bunny looks a little weird from the front with lopsided ears. Oh, and also, use the nicer supersoft batting. It's a little more expensive but better than the stiffer polyester stuff. I like it much more for stuffed toys. I may take the eyes off one of the bunnies when baby is a little older so she can hold it and chew on it!
The scottie dog can be found on the "Allsorts" craft blog, sometime last fall. You just have to scroll down, I think in her Oct. archives and find the post with the pattern on it. She doesn't really give instructions, but if you have the lamb instructions just use those, minus the part about the ears. I just love this girlie little scottie dog!
The lamb is from Vicki at "Turkeyfeathers," one of my all-time favorite blogs to read. I love her style and projects. If you go to the site, click on "Patternbee," which is the link to her vintage pattern business, then go into free patterns and it is in there, called "little lambkin". It is a vintage reproduction pattern and I love how it is so old-fashioned looking. This lambie is made from white wool felt and a little cotton for the accents. You could make the whole thing with cotton too if you wanted to. All these projects were fun and quick to make, and are great nursery decorations! Not that I have a nursery at the moment, but I'm trying to give one corner of our room a bit of a baby look. We've got a bassinet set up, now we just need a baby to put in it. I had my ultrasound Wed and got to see for myself that this baby is definitely a girl, and most likely a big one at that! Of course they can only estimate, but I'd say we're looking at a 9-lb baby- at least. She looked pretty cute in there, sucking on her hand while she got her picture taken. Just a few weeks to go!

p.s. If you can't find any of the links, just let me know and I will post the exact website link in comments. I think if you search for any of these blogs they will come up though.

1 comment:

Sweetpea said...

Okay, I love all the cute crafts and can't believe you are able to do it all over your belly. And I want more baby update details! I wish I was a crafty mom, I'm not. Oh well.