Monday, June 11, 2007

Shabby Chic Baby Quilt





Here is the baby quilt #1 finished, binding and all! I think it is one of my favorite things I've ever made. I love the colors and each fabric in it. I really took my time on this to match up my corners and make everything as straight and even as possible. (I'm not always quite this careful and precise) I hadn't ever done this type of quilting before, up until this project had just stitched in the seams. I actually drew chalk lines with a ruler to follow and make sure my quilting lines were straight. I don't think I'll do that again, but it was helpful for the first time! I was also really proud of myself because I only used fabric that I already had, including the backing piece which was the perfect size (that just goes to show how much fabric I have lying around!). I know that's not exactly thrifty because of course I paid for it in the first place, but at least I didn't go out to buy more stuff once I got started!
I really like how the back of it looks like roses climbing up a trellis. I've got a couple of other quilting projects in mind, but at least for now "baby sister" (as we've taken to calling her) has one finished quilt. I must be going through that nesting phase because all I can think of is organizing stuff, getting the baby clothes all out and ready, and finishing all of my projects I still want to do before the big arrival. Before you know it, I'll be buying a can of Lysol to spray on every surface that might have a germ on it that could possibly come into contact with the baby, or painting baseboards, or scrubbing down walls, all of which have been past end of pregnancy indicators for me!

3 comments:

Sweetpea said...

It is SO gorgeous, and completely fits your personality. Oh, I love it! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Elisabeth, that quilt is so pretty. I want one too. I love the colors and the backing is so gorgeous. All the colors look so good together. You are quit the quilter. I wish you did this when you lived here then I would have someone to quilt with.

Nat

Kristin said...

Your quilts are just beautiful! What a lucky baby girl!