Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Baby Blankets








Here are some of the blanket projects I've been sewing lately. I know this is a lot of pictures, but I wanted to show off the cool decorative stitches that my machine can do! They are so much fun to use, hopefully you can see the ones done in white thread. It might have been cuter to use a pink thread for these other ones but I get impatient and don't want to wait when I've already started something. My advice when using decorative stitches is make sure your bobbin is full, because you can't really backstitch or start in the exact same place as easily as with just a plain stitch. One of my favorite things is the burp cloth with flannel front and chenille back. I love the look and feel of it so much that I'm going to do another whole blanket with chenille backing, it's so soft and I love the vintage look of chenille. My great friend and sewing guru Kristin taught me how to make these adorable border blankets, I just love the way they look. Mine aren't perfect like hers, but my seams and corners are getting better with practice!

I went to the dr today, the good news is that I've only gained 30 lbs so far. I'm due in exactly 8 weeks, so hopefully we'll actually have a baby a little sooner than that! Time seems to be flying! This week we have two graduations, several field trips and field days, including my oldest son who is going to both NYC for a day and spending his last day of "school" at an amusement park! Our last baseball game is Saturday (until summer bball starts up), and soccer, and scouts are done. Plus we usually take a little enrichment hiatus in the summer. The boys are signed up for several different recreation programs plus some art classes, so that they aren't home driving me crazy all day like they did last summer! My big summer plans are to stay in my air-conditioned bedroom watching lots of Netflix movies and waiting to have a baby! I may also muster up the energy to take the boys swimming every once in a while too. I think the younger two may do swimming lessons at the Y also. This year my oldest gets to go to our church youth conference, and also a big scout hiking trip to the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion's Park which will be really exciting (although I have to admit a little nerve wracking for me).
I know that sounds like a lot of activities, but the majority of it they can walk to, or we will be carpooling, and my husband is in charge of all of the baseball transportation which will be in the evenings so I won't be doing much running around. I'll be attending games on the cooler, non-humid nights (hopefully there will be some of those this year!) Trust me, it's better than last year when they were signed up for nothing and sat around playing video games, watching way too much tv, and making lots of messes! Four days to go and counting. I hope you're looking forward to a fun and relaxing summer too!

4 comments:

ellen said...

Cute blankets! I hope you have a peaceful summer...FOUR busy boys?!? No way!

Sweetpea said...

I love the blankets, and I love the adorable stitching. I especially love the heart stitching on the blankets you made for my baby. Enjoy the air-conditioning, it's a life-saver! I think it's smart to have hubby doing a lot of the kid duty this summer!

wendster said...

Wow! That is some cool sewing machine! And great fabric choices.

Kristin said...

Your blankets are beautiful! I can't wait to see all your projects! Your summer sounds super busy, I hope it gives you some time to relax before baby girl comes!