Monday, April 09, 2007

Just Desserts (and a bunch more Easter pictures)

Honestly, don't holidays take a lot of work? Even the more lowkey ones. I was crashed on the couch by 9 pm last night. It must have been exhaustion after my serious dessert binge that went on over the weekend. Here is a list of the treats I ate within a two day period:
carrot cupcake, chocolate birthday cake, frosted egg-shaped cake from bakery, cupcake, 2 cream puffs (my Mom MADE creampuffs yesterday). I won't even mention the candy. I also made strawberry shortcake which I didn't even have any of yet (note the word yet). And I have a piece of cheesecake that I haven't been able to fit in to the busy dessert schedule yet. May have to pencil that in for 10 pm tonight. So much sugar, so little time! Could this attitude toward eating have anything to do with the fact that at my Dr's appt last week I had put on NINE POUNDS!! in the preceeding month? I choose to think not. I just have big babies, that's my excuse. That works, right? The doctor had the nerve to suggest that you really only need another 300 calories per day when you're pregnant, like the equivalent of an extra banana and yogurt everyday. One measley banana and a yogurt? Please! Has this woman ever even been pregnant? What fun is that? If you're going to put on a lot of weight (about 50 lbs in my case usually) and look huge, you might as well enjoy it, right? That's my philosophy anyway. Don't worry, my physician doesn't have access to this blog. I also went to dinner Thursday night and had dessert then too- banana bash. That would be coconut ice cream with fried bananas and fudge sauce. It was really good. In my defense, I did share it a little, and for the record- so you don't think I'm the worst pregnant person in the world- also I often crave healthy food like orange juice, fruit, vegetables, tomato and mozzarella salad, and smoothies. And Chunky Monkey from Ben and Jerry's has walnuts in it, those are good for you, aren't they? For a while I've been craving clam chowder, fish, and scallops so I think a trip to Legal Sea Food is in order sometime soon. Anyway, enough about food. It seems to dominate my days lately.
One exciting thing that I haven't mentioned yet is that BOTH of my sisters are also pregnant! I figured that I'd better mention it since one is due in just a few weeks. We're both having girls, and the other doesn't know what she's having yet. This is kind of a big deal since I am 8 years older than one of them, and three more than another, and got married at least 10 years before both of them. Being pregnant at the same time was something I really never thought would happen. I'm SO exicted that this girl will have close in age cousins, and at least one girl one. We're all having babies withing a 5 month period this year, May, August, and October. It's going to be an exciting one! We told my parents the same day as the October-due sister and I think they were pretty blown away. It's fun that we can commiserate together on all our aches and pains.
I took so many picture this weekend, I just had to post a few more. If I were a more professional-type blogger, I would have pictures of all the desserts I've been describing, but guess what? They're all gone! I'll give you some recipes though and you can make your own and take pictures of them if you'd like. Sometimes I wonder if people get sick of all of these pictures of my kids, but then I figure, they came to this blog of their own free will and choice, right? So, pictures of kids, away!


The only child who would actually smile for a picture yesterday. I guess it didn't help that I was mad that we were late for church, and yelling at them to smile, and the sun was in their eyes. And they had woken me up before 7 AM to hunt for jellybeans and chocolate eggs upstairs!

The boys on Easter 3 years ago


My, how they've grown!

All the Massachusetts cousins




Success!



A little lift from Mom. Note the winter jacket, it was about 40 degrees yesterday. And did anyone hear that it snowed a couple of inches last Wednesday? Ridiculous!! Where is Spring I'd like to know?



Big brother is apparently now too mature for egg hunting so has taken over hiding and helping little brother duties.


Baby sister's bucket o' candy. I guess I have to eat it for her, right? She also got a Hello Kitty bag from the dollar section of Target. That's to hold all of her cute outfits and accessories, which she seems to be accumulating in amazing quantities, given that she's not even born yet!
Egg cracking Easter fun! A game to play while waiting to eat. Basically, elimination round to see who's egg lasts after getting smashed into all the other eggs. Then you cut up your egg and put it in your creamy spinach soup, yum!


Saturday night, this little guy kept looking out the window to see if the bunny was there yet. Totally fascinated by the concept of a bunny hopping in the house to bring candy and treats!

Cream Puffs:

1 C water
1/2 C butter
4 eggs
1/2 t salt
1 C flour

Heat butter and water to boiling point. Add flour and stir vigorously until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan and clings to the spoon. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add unbeaten eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly before each addition. Drop by spoonfulls on greased sheet, 1 1/2 " apart. Shape into rounds 2" in diameter. Bake at 425 degrees 30 min. reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake until puffs are dry.

Filling:

3 C milk
3 T cornstarch
2 T flour
2/3 C sugar
3 egg yolks, or one egg plus one yolk
1/2 t vanilla
pinch salt

Mix dry ingredients and add enough milk to make paste. Scald rest of milk and blend with the paste. Stir constantly until thickened. Cook 15 min. Blend with beaten eggs and cook a few minutes, stirring all the time. Remove and add vanilla. Cool custard. Just before serving, add 1/2 C whipped cream with dash of vanilla. Cut open puffs, take out excess, add filling. Top with chocolate sauce if desired. Here is a quick and easy chocolate sauce you could use:

1 & 1/2 T flour
3 T cocoa powder
3/4 C sugar
1/2 C milk
2 T butter
1/2 t vanilla

Add milk slowly to dry ingredients. Boil hard for 2 min. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla and stir. This is also great hot fudge sauce for ice cream!



Grandma's Two Egg Cake
(the basis for great Strawberry Shortcake)

2 C flour
1 & 1/3 C sugar
2 & 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
1/2 C shortening
2/3 C milk
1 t vanilla
2 unbeaten eggs
1/4 C milk

Mix ingredients with beater on med speed until all blended. Bake in 9x13" pan or two round cake pans that have been greased and floured at 350 degrees for 25-30 min. Cut up and mash strawberries and add some sugar to your taste. Cut open cooled piece of cake and put strawberry mix inside and on top, then top with sweetened whipped cream. The recipe says milk twice, so I add it all. I'm not good enought at math to combine them and get one amount of milk!






1 comment:

Kristin said...

You all look like you had so much fun! What great photos! I say eat away...everything will just help that baby grow. This is how I rationalized it because chocolate icecream sure isn't doing either of us any good now that she is born;)