Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Fancy Breakfast



I wanted to make a nice breakfast for our company last Saturday (and my poor snowed-in parents who were supposed to leave for Hawaii the morning after our little spring blizzard) so I whipped up these orange almond scones, a recipe from my good friend ep- of www.ellenpatton.blogspot.com She is a great baker and taught us how to make these scones at an enrichment class last year. They are seriously yummy! They have fresh squeezed oj and grated orange peel in them, plus sliced almonds. I put in cranberries too, just for extra tastiness. They turned out well and were extra fun to serve on my new tiered pink and green plates with matching green pitcher I got at Target on Friday. I know- I need to stop shopping! It's all my sister-in-law's fault, she showed them to me! I also bought adorable pink and blue melamine serving and cereal bowls, and a really cute little Easter Bunny candy dish. I'll go ahead and blame those on her too!
Here's the scone recipe:
1/2 C fresh oj
1/4 C buttermilk, yogurt or milk
1 large egg
1/4 t almond extract
3 C flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t bkg soda
1/4 t salt
8 t unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 C chopped, blanched almonds (I use the thin sliced ones)
1 T grated orange peel
Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grate peel before juicing orange. Measure juice, then milk into a 2 C glass measuring cup. Then add egg and extract, and beat with a fork. Put flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt in to a large bowl and stir to mix well. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add sugar, almonds and peel and toss to distribute evenly. (I also add a cup or so of cranberries, fresh or dried) Add egg mixture and stir with a fork until soft dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and give 5 or 6 kneads, just until well mixed. Form dough into a thick circle and cut into wedges. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and sprinkle top of each scone with sugar and some almonds. Bake for 25 minutes until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
I also made my Aunt's yummy breakfast casserole:
1- 30 oz. bag of frozen hashbrowns
2 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 lb sausage, cooked and drained and crumbled(or one lb bacon cooked, drained and crumbled)
5 eggs
2 C milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 t salt
1/4 t pepper
Place hashbrowns in greased 9X13 pan. Top with cheese and cooked meat. Beat eggs and mix with remaining ingredients and pour egg mixture over potaotes. Refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 &1/2 - 2 hours.
All this recipe typing is making me hungry, a very common state for me to be in lately! I'm off to get a snack.

4 comments:

Lullaby Lane said...

Gorgeous pictures! They look like they came straight out of Martha Stewart!

Allie said...

Found your blog through Amazing Trips and noticed that we live near each other. I think actually in towns next to each other (if the town on the soccer club quilt is accurate). I, too, grew up in the same town in which I live now. I blog at http://www.tloljournals.com/forum584.php

Congrats on a girl! I have three and a boy and I love pink as well. I enjoyed reading your entries and am amazed at how crafy you are! That is one thing I am not, nor do I think I have the talent, time or patience for. But I would love to make a quilt out of my children's baby blankets and clothes. I have saved everything and just may try it someday.

Take care,

Allie

Anonymous said...

Yeah you can blame me, only if I can blame you for my Target purchases. It's impossible to go into that store and not find 10 cute things. I went when we got home and bought too much stuff.

Nat

Anonymous said...

This is too funny--I made those same scones on the same day and even added cranberries too! They were extra awesome. I served them with cinnamon butter which made them ever so sinful. What would we do without EP's baking recipes?!!

JID