Friday, March 30, 2007

Baptism Birthday












A couple of weeks ago my son turned 8 years old and got baptized on his birthday. It was a great day, extra special since his Nana and Auntie came all the way from Arizona for the big event. All the local family and lots of ward members were there too. His Grandma's both spoke on the program about baptism and confirmation, and he was baptized by his Dad. It's amazing that I have three baptized children now! Afterwards we had a special birthday dinner of Mexican Lasagne (his request) and little party. Pay no attention to the goofy cake decoration, not one of my best efforts! By then I was wiped out and didn't have any energy left to put into it. I'll bet you can't even guess what it's supposed to be. Everyone at the party was guessing wrong- Sponge Bob, Big Bird, a dog. It was pretty funny. He seemed to have a good time anyway with his cousins there and lots of new swords for presents- swords being the preferred toy around our house. It doesn't seem possible that he could be eight already, but time does have a way of marching right along, doesn't it? Amazing. He's a pretty fun kid to have around. I've been blessed with a wonderful family which I'm very grateful for.
Traditional Family Birthday Cake
2 C sugar
1 t salt
2 t baking soda
3 C flour
1/2 C cocoa
1 C oil
1 C sour cream
2 eggs
1 C boiling water
Mix all ingredients with a beater for 2 minutes. Bake 35 minutes at 375 degrees in two round cake pans with sides greased and bottom lined with wax paper (remove when cooled). Don't overbake. Frost with sweetened whipped cream.




3 comments:

Jen3 @ Amazing Trips said...

What a fun looking party!! Although, I have NO idea who is on the cake, either ... I was actually thinking Sponge Bob (although his head is more square).

I'm sure you are over-the-moon thrilled to have a little girl joining your ranks! Our girls are unbelievably precious and so incredibly different than our boy, who is also precious - but in a very different way! Despite the fact that he is the one that insists on wearing dresses, fancy shoes and bows in his hair. GO figure!!! Ah, to be TWO!

I thought your comment on my blog re: breast tenderness was really interesting. When I was expecting our trio, I had a tad amount of soreness - nothing bad at all. But this time around (and with a boy on board), I feel like they are about to fall off my chest every single morning when I wake up and get out of bed. I figured that maybe I didn't recognize the soreness with the triplets because I was uncomfortable in so many other places - but after reading your comment, I think that maybe the 2 girls helped offset the hormones from the 1 boy!!!

Congratulations on your addition to the pink team. You are in for some sugar and spice and everything nice!!! :)

lambie-pie said...

For those of you who are wondering, it's supposed to be C3PO. I know- it's pretty bad! I'm going to have to post a picture of one of my better cake decorating results so you don't all think I'm totally hopeless!

Anonymous said...

Okay, I feel bad saying this, but when I saw the cake, I thought, "How nice that she decorated the cake to look like Ben!" Just don't tell him that!

JID