Thursday, November 30, 2006

Goodbye November






Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving! We spent ours with family in Globe, AZ. We had a great time with great food, especially the corn pudding and pecan pie. This was supposed to be my Thanksgiving post but I was having trouble posting on our trip, which was driving me crazy! My good friend Ellen taught me how to make these adorable fabric turkeys, and I love them! They are really easy, and really they were the first thing I learned how to sew.

So I'm really frustrated because I just realized that I left my camera battery charger in AZ so I can't download all of my pictures from our trip. I have a lot to show you with the wedding, holiday, family pictures we had taken there, my new haircut, plus all the Christmas crafts and stuff coming up, so it's really driving me nuts that I can't use the camera! I hate it when I do dumb stuff like that. It just goes to show how dependent and addicted to this camera I am. Hopefully it will get sent back to me quickly and I can post a bunch more pictures from our trip, and finally show you pictures of my BIG PROJECT that I practically killed myself finishing in time for the wedding! In the meantime I'll work on my huge list of Christmas projects I want to make for gifts and decorations- embroidery, quilts, ornaments, pillows, sewing. Not to mention cleaning, decorating, shopping and getting our tree! A month is definitely not enough time to do it all!

My kids had a blast the last two weeks in AZ playing with their cousins whom they have sorely missed the last year since we moved away. My ten year old finally learned to ride a bike! The weather was great (It was 89 degrees in Phoenix one day) and we spent a lot of time with family. We got in at about 1 AM last night, us and our 12 checked bags, and 13 carry-ons! We have a storage still in AZ so we brought back as much as the airline would allow- including a bunch of my craft stuff which I am very happy about! I was expecting a blast of cold air upon arrival in Massachusetts, but it is actually so warm here, I can't believe it. Hooray for Global Warming! (Just kidding-I don't really think that!)I'm not a big fan of the cold, so I'm glad to delay winter a little, although I do love snow at Christmastime. We loved our trip, but it is always nice to come home. Everytime I come back here, as I come out of the tunnel after leaving the airport, and pass by the Union Oyster House, The North End, the Harbor, Bunker Hill, the old Hood dairy factory, and the US Constitution, and feel that nice humid air, this oldies song starts going through my head:

Doo doo doot, doot doo doot,
Yeah, down by the river,
Down by the banks of the river Charles,
That's where you'll find me
Well I love that dirty water,
Boston you're my home!
(The Standelles, 1960-something)


So, now it is on to Christmas! Tonight is our annual Wreathmaking Party at church. This party is pretty much our biggest activity of the year and has been a tradition in this area for at least 30 year, and I think even more. We always have a very nice program, elaborate decorations, nice food, and make fresh wreaths! It requires a lot of time preparing food and music, decorating, covering the entire gym with brown paper, and cleaning up. This year I was in charge of making 250 bows for the wreaths. My great friend Debbie and I organized two nights of bow-making mania! We lured prospective bow-makers to the church with hot chocolate and homemade cookies and ended up having a two really fun evenings of eating, chatting and bow-making. I have some funny pictures of this, but where are they- in my camera of course! So, I'll have to post them later. I'll have to borrow some of Ellen's pictures of the party too, or you can always just look at her blog: bigredep.blogspot.com. I KNOW she'll have pictures of the party posted- probably by tonight! She and our other friend are the head honchos in charge of tonight. I'm really looking forward to it! I am also in charge of clean up and basically planning to be there until midnight or so. We have a good crew signed up to help, which is a good thing, because I am sore from hauling my 600 lbs of junk through two airports with three kids in tow!

Well, sorry to ramble. Usually I like to keep the written part of my blogging short and sweet and focus more on the pictures, but a lot has happened lately.
So, Goodbye November, and Hello Christmas!!

No comments: