Saturday, November 04, 2006

Finished Fall Quilt- Finally!







I'm really happy with how this quilt turned out, just don't look too close or you will definitely find the flaws! I mentioned before that I was having difficulty with the applique. I think part of that is that I used flannel and it frayed really easily. I think if I used regular cotton, it would be easier. I had to rip off two of the pumpkins and redo them which kind of drove me crazy! I probably shouldn't admit this, but there is elmer's glue holding together some of the pumpkin edges so that they don't fray. Glue is not an approved quilting tool. I'm pretty sure that guild member ladies would scoff at the use of glue in a quilt! Not to mention the fact that my squares aren't equal in size and the points of some of them are cut off. And they don't always line up perfectly. I say this just give the quilt "charm" and "character," right?! I told you I am more of a make-do type of person than a perfectionist, at least in crafts. My motto is, if it looks cute to me, it's good enough!
I tried using a friend's darning foot to make the curved lines on the pumpkins, but we were having trouble with it so I ended up just using the regular foot and curving the needle. Thanks to my quilting buddy K. for all her help on this and all of my projects. It is kind of embarassing how many times I email her in a day asking quilting questions!
I always seem to underestimate how long something is going to take. This quilt is so small I figured I'd whip it out in a week, but it was more like a month. I guess technically it is still fall (although it is freezing here and I just saw frost on the grass), so I get to enjoy it hanging on the wall for a few more weeks anyway!
On another subject entirely, I watched a great movie called Glory Road today and highly recommend it. I sat and watched it with my 13-year-old son this afternoon and we both liked it. I don't think there are too many movies I can say that about. It is about a college basketball team in the 60's. Strangely, though I don't really like team sports (I kind of hate them for the most part, in fact), I seem to love sports movies. So, check out the movie, and bundle up because I feel a long and cold winter coming. Mine will be spent cuddled up under my latest quilting project. Next on the adgenda- Christmas quilts and gifts!

4 comments:

ellen said...

Glue or no glue, that quilt is awesome!!

itybtyfrog said...

What a perfectly adorable quilt! I love it. It makes me want to start quilting again! And you are right all the "flaws" add character to any craft project. Thanks for the movie recommendation as well...it is so hard to find good movies these days.

Nettie said...

I love it! And it took you only a month? I'm still working on one I started in Jan. **sigh**

(Keep showing us your projects! You do fun things.)

Anonymous said...

Elisabeth, you are armed and dangerous with a sewing machine! I don't think I've ever seen someone pick up sewing as fast as you have! I'm sure your Bernina is one happy machine! :) Janika