Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Before and After






We got this antique iron bed from a friend and finally got around to fixing it up recently. We sanded all the rust, primed it with gray anti-rust spray on primer, and then sprayed it with white glossy enamel. It was a lot of work but I am really happy with the result. Here it is covered with a quilt top I sewed over our gray, rainy, Labor Day weekend. All of the solid fabrics and one of the plaids are from men's oxfords that were free to me, so this was a very thrifty quilt! There are a total of five shirts used in the quilt. I wouldn't normally pick blue and yellow, but since I got a couple of yellow shirts, I thought I would try that color combo, and I think it's gorgeous! I supplemented the shirting with a couple of yards of various florals and another plaid, including a few random fat quarters I pulled out of my ever-expanding stash, so I felt good about using what I had for the most part. I still need to get a backing and quilt it and bind it and all of that. I guess I will just do diagonal lines, although that could be hard on such a big quilt. It was going to be just a throw size, but it turned out to be more like twin. My only question- how do people get their squares to line up? Mine never do and I have to resew my rows, and stretch them out, and there are still rows that are off by like an inch or more! I don't know why I don't seem to be improving at this. Any suggestions? I still think it looks nice overall, but it kind of bugs me that I can't get the squares to line up! Overall though, pretty happy with both projects.

1 comment:

ellen said...

Nice quilt! Cool bed. Treasures...