Thursday, August 10, 2006

My First Quilt



I made this quilt a few months ago, my first one. I'm really happy with how it turned out, I really love patchwork. This quilt is mostly made of recycled clothes, like jeans, khaki pants, and men's dress shirts. One of the things I really love about sewing is the idea of reusing things and making something new out of something old and worn out. I also love that I can look at individual patches and say, hey, that's Dad's oxford shirt, or my son's back pocket. It gives it lots of personality. One of the things I love about it is all the pockets. Since it is meant to be for my son's bedspread, I like to imagine that they will store little toys or other treasures in the pockets, just hopefully no snacks or bugs or anything else too gross! At some point I'd like to decorate a bedroom for my boys with a kind of Americana type theme, with old toys and books, quilts, lots of deep barn red, navy blue and tan, stars and stripes and baseball stuff.
I made this quilt (or blanket, if you want to get really technical) by sewing together squares, then rows, then sewing the rows together. I really had no idea what I was doing, like I sewed the rows lengthwise instead of across which I guess is what people normally do. I had to do a whole lot of fixing and stretching to get the squares to match up, and they still don't all line up perfectly! There isn't any batting inside, and then I just sewed all around the edge. One side has rough edges, and the idea is to cut and then fray the rough edges by washing it. I was supposed to be making another one to match, but my problem with quilting is that once I finish a project, I don't want to do the same thing again, I want to move onto new things!

No comments: