Friday, July 21, 2006

Quilting



Recently I started learning how to sew, thanks to some very talented friends from church who have spent a lot of their time helping me. I really appreciate this! For years I've wanted to learn how and now that I am, I'm loving it! I bought a really nice machine- a Bernina. I kind of splurged on it, but I'm really glad I did. I love everything about it! It makes this soothing "shoop shoop" sound as the needle goes through the fabric. After it's been on for a while, it smells really good too! I don't know what it is, maybe the oil that you use to clean it when it heats up from the little light. I find it totally relaxing and very addictive. I am still a novice, but here is one of my first projects, a pink, cream and tan baby quilt I made for my cousin. I think I subconciously made the quilt I would make for myself if I ever had a baby girl. It's fun to have an excuse to make something pink! I am especially satisfied with this one because it was the first time I did a binding all by myself. I wasn't sure if I would be able to get it right on my own, but it seemed to work well. Even the tricky little twisty move you have to do at the end! Learning a new skill is always great for your self-confidence, and quilting has been good for mine. Here's to new hobbies!

1 comment:

ellen said...

That's a beautiful quilt! You're an old pro!!